You have options for noise reduction window inserts. Here’s the top questions to ask to compare them.
1. What is the STC (Sound Transmission Class) rating of the noise reduction window inserts?
An STC rating is the industry standard for measuring sound abatement of building partitions like walls, windows and doors. It’s the only rating that isn’t subjective, unlike percentages. The higher the number, the better the ability to block noise.
2. How does the sound abatement capability (the STC) of my noise reduction window inserts compare to my walls?
In other words, if the inserts have a better STC than your walls, you need to know up front so you can set realistic expectations about the end result. For example, the STC rating for a typical residential brick veneer wall is in the 52 range. Each increase of 10 in an STC rating halves the sound.
3. Is the clear part of the insert made of glass or acrylic?
The two most common choices are 1/4″ laminated glass and 1/4″ optical grade acrylic. Laminated glass has a significantly higher STC rating than acrylic because it has more mass per square foot. The greater mass is what blocks more sound (which is why brick blocks sound better than paper).
4. How will the soundproof window inserts perform filter the type of noise I am experiencing?
For example, a small dog’s bark is usually higher-pitched than a large dog’s bark. High-pitched noise is easier to stop than low-pitched noise, so noise reduction window inserts will block less low-pitched sound and more high-pitched sound. Knowing this will help you set expectations for how much sound reduction to expect based on the source of your noise.
5. What is your part in the process?
Different companies have different approaches to the process, pricing, installation, custom sizes and other preferences. You want to find a company that makes it easy for you, fits your schedule and time frame and won’t leave a mess in your home or office.
Interested in learning more? Ask us your questions about soundproofing your apartment, home, office or hotel. Contact us online or call us for a quick quote by phone:
– Houston: (281) 223-1010
– Austin: (512) 758-6818
– Dallas/Fort Worth: (214) 771-9544
– Nashville: (615) 392-5763